Think About Safety
Think about safety: It Pays
What is the right protection? As questions go, this is the safety consultant's Holy Grail. But it is important to approach that question thoughtfully.
Take gloves. Think why a single thread that makes up the core of a glove might be a composite fiber upwound from 5 or more different filaments, each possessing a unique benefit to be imparted to the final glove. Think why we then have scores of unique coatings, cuff types, glove lengths, and more. If you are thinking that thatâ€™s because types of protection for people are a lot like the people we are trying to protect - no two are created equal - then you are closer to grabbing that Holy Grail.
Working with a dedicated safety specialist to properly assess the risks in your environment and then to develop a cost-effective program is a simple way to improve worker protection. Brass Knuckle® brand safety products have unique application based features. They are made of the highest quality material and fibers, build to afford better dexterity to help ensure compliance. Shop Brass Knuckle now >>.
Fast Facts Everyone Needs to Know
- Hand injuries are the No. 2 leading cause of work-related injury and the most preventable.
- There are 110,000 lost-time hand injuries annually
- Hand injuries send more than one million workers to the emergency room each year
- 70 percent of workers who experienced hand injuries were not wearing gloves
- The remaining 30 percent of injured workers did wear gloves, but experienced injuries because the gloves were inadequate, damaged or the wrong type for the type of hazard present.
- The average hand injury claim now exceeds $6,000.
- The average reported hand injury results in six days off work.
A side note: If a U.S. automotive worker earns $33.00 an hour, six paid days away from work means one incident exceeds the cost of an entire hand protection program.
Donald F. Groce, ISHN Magazine; Bureau of Labor Statistics; Center for Disease Control;
National Safety Congress